Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q&A WITH NATURAL HAIR CARE VET. AND SALON OWNER ANGIE SCOTT

Natural hair care vet. and hair salon owner, Angie Scott
  
No matter if you are already natural, transitioning to natural or just thinking about going "o natural", we all have questions about this beautiful never ending journey. You can put a thousand natural hair women in a room together. Not only will you get a wide range of textures and styles, you will hear a different hair story  from each one of them-unique.
I did a Q&A with natural hair vet. Angie Scott, owner of Natural Beauty Salon & Spa, LLC on her take of natural hair- loose and loced. Read her great interview below!

KA: What is the name of your salon and where is it located?

A.Scott: Natural Beauty Salon & Spa and we are located in Richmond, VA at 4857 Finland St.

KA: Angie, how long have you been natural and how long have you been locking?

A.Scott: I have been natural for about 15 years. I started locking my hair in 1999.

KA: What inspired you to open your own natural hair care salon and when did you open?

A.Scott:  I opened my official salon in 2003. I opened a natural hair salon because when I went through my hair journey there was no assistance out there for me, natural hair was not popular back then. I realized I needed to have a place to assist other people in their natural hair journey. 

KA: So, what made you go natural pretty much knowing assistance would be limited ?

A.Scott: I was on my self exploration journey, getting in touch with my self naturally. I thought, well, if every other nationality can be comfortable with their natural hair with out chemically treating it, then I should too. I wanted to embrace my natural self and be comfortable with it and not have to chemically alter my natural self to feel like I look good. I wanted to "wash n go" too.

KA: Did you do the big chop? How did you go natural?

A.Scott: No, I did not do the big chop. I wanted to try new hair styles while growing my natural
 hair out and I was not afraid to do so. I gradually cut my permed hair as my natural hair grew, I transitioned.

KA: How did going natural make you feel what did it do for you?

A.Scott: I felt liberated and I could accept my self just as I am. I was very pleased. 


KA: Why did you loc your hair?

A.Scott: I wanted to try locs and I think locs are beautiful. I knew I had to be ready to make that commitment. I knew I was ready for locs when I could see them in my mind. I could see exactly how I wanted them and how they were actually going to look. I wanted to bring that vision into reality and I did.

KA: Do you only do locs at your salon?

A.Scott: No, we do all types of natural hair styles, twist, braids, locs and so forth and there are so many ways to wear natural hair. We do transitioning styles and hair care. The care of the hair is more important than the style.

KA: What products would you say are staples for maintaining natural hair-loose or locked?

A.Scott: I would say your very basic household items, like shea butter for moisture-every house should have shea butter. We want to keep our hair moist and hydrated. Also olive oil and jojoba oil to restore. Jojoba oil is more like the sebum from our scalp. Witch hazel, is a natural astringent and removes excess oil and dirt from the scalp, this can be used between cleaning.

KA: What about deep conditioning?

A.Scott: Yes, of course deep conditioning is a must for hair but also for locs the type of conditioning regimen depends on the types of  locs and what stage a persons locs are in.

KA: What hair products would say one needs to stay away from?

A.Scott: There are many harmful ingredients in hair products, but in general petroleum based products, mineral oil and beeswax. These ingredients can cause the hair to look dull and put a grayish coating on the hair and it does not allow moisture to penetrate the hair shaft. Also when using any product less is more, we have the tendency to go overboard on product amount we put in our hair.

KA: Based on all of your years of experience what are the pros and cons of locs and just natural hair period?

A.Scott: Well, the cons for natural hair is less damage on your hair and the versatility. You can wear your hair kinky, curly or blown out. You can change up your styles and texture frequently. I think people are limited when it comes to relaxed hair. It lacks the awesome body that comes with natural hair. The only cons are the maintenance. You have to treat your hair at night, braid it up, twist it up, or pony tail it and tie your hair up. You can't just go home and crash in the bed anymore and think when you wake up your afro or big hair is going to look good in the morning- that is just not going to happen. So, just the maintenance is different with natural hair than what it is with relaxed hair. What can I say, natural hair is just the bomb!

A.Scott. The pros for locs is it prevents you from over manipulating the hair, no picking, no heat, so it helps prevent damage to hair. It also shaves down the prep time. The growth appears faster because you are not breaking your hair off-you are retaining the ends thereby retaining your length. I don't know of any cons yet. But I would say that some clients miss their big fluffy hair.

KA: Yeah, are there ways you can achieve big hair with locs?

A.Scott:  I actually used a weaving method using extensions to achieve the loose big hair look and it was hot. I wore it for a week and that was that, I got over it. I actually did it because people said it could not be done and I hate to say it- but I had to do it, to show that wearing big hair extensions while having locs could be done.


KA: Really? Wait a minute, you have very long locks and you are telling me you did extensions and rocked some big hair with all that hair you already have on your head?

A.Scott: Yeah, I was shopping for the salon and ran across these natural hair extensions that really looked nice. I thought wow, this would really look nice in a big hair style. So I braided up the locs into a specific pattern and took loose hair from the wefts and did a weaving method.

KA: Okay, Okay so if someone with locs want some big loose hair they can come to your salon and get hooked up?

A.Scott: Yes, that is right.

KA: Okay, well I have to ask this. Are there any myths about natural hair you would like to dispel?

A.Scott: Yes, one myth is people who have locs are lazy and do not want to take care of their hair. Locks are low maintenance but not no maintenance. I want to dispel the myths that natural hair makes a woman look masculine and that natural hair takes away from ones beauty. This is not true.

KA: Yes, what would you say to those who think they have to change their style or fashion sense to wear natural hair?

A. Scott: I think natural hair makes everything look good. You have to know that. If you do not believe that, then there is a problem.

KA: Any recommendations for those going natural or wanting to go natural?

A.Scott: Just be patient and enjoy every phase of your journey. There is one last thing I have to say, if we are to believe we are all created in the image and after the likeness of the Most High, you need not change a thing! 

Well there you have it! The whole Q&A with owner and natural hair vet. Angie Scott of Natural Beauty Salon &Spa.

If you are in Richmond, VA you can contact Natural Beauty Salon & Spa with info provided below. 
Natural Beauty Salon & Spa
4857 Finland St.
Richmond, VA 23231
804.222.2424

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naturals-Salon-Spa/137753068814?ref=ts#!/pages/Natural-Beauty-Salon-Spa-LLC/137257645927?sk=wall

2 comments:

  1. What are some suggestions for people who are going natural but don't want to lock their hair? I am going natural and I am about 50 percent natural and 50 percent perm. I am roller setting and then blow drying my hair. My stylist deep conditions it prior to putting me under the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want to keep you hair well moisturized and stay away from heat as much as possible. Each time you get your hair serviced you want to have your permed ends clipped. You can wear your hair in elegant braided styles,twist,flat twist. You can wear buns, twist outs or braid outs. You can do all of this without using heat and deep condition with out the use of heat if you like. I will post some tutorials of transition hair styles for you. Keep going and just be gentle with your hair:)

    ReplyDelete